Emma Sue Prince, Director of Unimenta spoke at a CIMA event about the themes in her book,The Advantage:The 7 soft skills you need to stay one step ahead (which I reviewed a while back, here). Emma Sue is passionate about the need for a new skill set in today’s world, and underpins her work with fascinating research and hard facts.
She outlined the six main drivers as technology, our workplace,globalisation, demographics, health and education.
The impact of technology
The best reminders for me were about technology, uncovering these gems:
- Ten years ago our attention span was 12 minutes. Now it is five.
- The average office worker checks their email 30-40 times and hour.
- The fastest age bracket growing on Twitter is 55-64: 79% growth in the past year.
- Five hours of computer use can alter the way our brain works.
- Those who don’t use the internet are better at problem solving and decision making
You can draw your own conclusions about the implications here! All these topics are explored in her book so I won’t repeat them here.
How many times have you checked your email today?
By Julie Cooper
Author of Face to Face in the Workplace
“If you deal with people you need this book” Buy your copy here